Guest:
> Hi Awokd,

>> If there is no way to disable HDMI audio completely, perhaps try the
>> external monitor or blacklist suggestions in here:
>> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5247.
>
> No option exists to disable HDMI Audio, or any VGA options for that matter in
> the BIOS ;-/
>
> Blacklisting the kernel module had no noticeable effect on the KERNEL PANIC
> ;-/

How about connecting the external (HDMI audio supporting) monitor? If
it's the issue I linked, maybe making HDMI audio use an interrupt will
work around it.

> Somebody off list suggested that I recompile the kernel with a known good
> config and only bring in the (diff) XEN options. That could work, but really
> sounds like a rabbit hole. I also hear that Qubes is notoriously incompatible
> on laptops? I wonder why this would be. Many other distros seem to have at
> least a failsafe boot option with some basic support. Is it security or
> visualization related related?

Qubes requires both Xen and Linux compatibility. Other distros have it
easy and only need Linux compat. Xen plays a major & differentiating
role in the security Qubes can provide.

> I guess it makes little sense to try older installation media before 3.2.1?
> Is there any ETA for a new kernel qubes version? Is it possible that 4.0.2
> will receive a different kernel version in its final release?

Wouldn't bother with older. Kernel 5.something is available in the
testing repo. Easiest way I can think to get it would be to pull the
laptop hard drive, install Qubes on it from a different machine, update
kernel, then move hard drive back. You could also build a custom ISO
with the 5.x kernel, but that gets a bit involved:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-iso-building/, and there's no
guarantee it will fix the issue. Maybe others on the list or lurking
have an easier method.

> Unless there are any other easy ideas available, I guess this is the end of
> the road for me and I will have to make do with Debian and Virtualbox?

"Easy" = buy a different laptop! :) Afraid I'm out of other ideas. Next
might be to try to apply a similar code fix/workaround in events_base.c,
recompile, etc., but that's getting pretty in-depth for something I
could be completely wrong about. Hope you get a chance to use Qubes some
day.