tetrahedra via qubes-users:
On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 01:37:06PM +0000, Claudia wrote:
Isolating apps in the same VM is a different issue, but you're saying traffic from different VMs is appearing to come from the same address?

Hmm, that definitely should not be happening. VM isolation is enabled out of the box. Different VMs, whonix or otherwise, should never share circuits. IsolateClientAddr (on by default) in whonix-gw's torrc should isolate streams originating from different addresses/VMs, no matter what OS or apps they're running.

I don't see that setting in
/usr/local/etc/torrc.d/40_tor_control_panel.conf or in 50_user.conf ...
which torrc is that setting supposed to be in?

I don't think it matters. It would be at the end of a SOCKSPort/TransPort/DNSPort/etc line. The syntax is

SocksPort [address:]port|unix:path|auto [flags] [isolation flags]

but IsolateClientAddr is enabled by default, so it doesn't have to be specified at all. To turn it off you have to specify NoIsolateClientAddr. IsolateSOCKSAuth is similarly on by default.

You can try viewing your active tor settings in Nyx (preinstalled in Whonix) rather than from torrc directly. Just in case some setting is being overridden or something like that. See https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tor_Controller and https://nyx.torproject.org/#config_editor

Note if you specified a TrackHostExits in your config, there is a bug that causes isolation flags to be ignored.

If you're seeing the same exit address in different whonix-ws VMs, it sounds like IsolateSOCKSAuth isn't working either. Tor browser randomly generates a SOCKS username and password at startup (or at least after you hit "new identity", I forget), so Tor Browsers should always be isolated, even from the same client address.

Try opening two Tor Browsers in different VMs, navigate to check.torproject.org in both, then click menu -> "new Tor circuit for this site" in both. If you still get the same address in both, then socks auth isolation isn't working either.

You can also try reinstalling the whonix-gw template and recreating sys-whonix. It might fix it, but more importantly it will tell us if it's a reproducible issue.

I saw in another thread you asked about using two separate whonix-gw VMs. Did you try this, and did it work? (It shouldn't be necessary, I'm just wondering if it worked.)

Other than that, you might have to ask on the Whonix list/forum, but if you find a solution please follow up here :)