Qubes User:
Thank you for your help.

Happy to do what I can.

First, if you can, please generate an HCL report on the machine and send it to the mailing list. This will tell us some basic info about your machine so we have a better idea what we're troubleshooting. (It also helps the Qubes developers improve compatibility.)

Here's how:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hcl/

When I click the applet, I see:
Ethernet Network
device not managed
VPN Connections >
I don't see my WiFi networks. When I launch network manager in sys-net, I
tried
to manually input the information for my WiFi (with the SSID and
WPA2/Personal),
but it doesn't connect after.

When I run "lsusb" in the dom0 terminal, I get:
Realtek Semiconductor Corp
VIA Labs, Inc.
Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
blank
Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
VIA Lbs, Inc.
Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver (for my usb mouse)
Terminus Technology Inc.
VIA Labs, Inc.
Intel Corp.
Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
None of these are my network cards, right?

By default network cards are assigned to sys-net and are not visible in dom0 (as far as I know). Open the Qubes Manager -> sys-net -> VM settings -> Devices tab, and make sure your network card is assigned to it. So you need to run lsusb or lspci from within sys-net, not dom0. You should also run `iw list`, `iwconfig`, and/or `ifconfig` in sys-net.

Off the top of my head, the realtek device could be a wireless network adapter, wired ethernet adapter, or soundcard. There are several others in that list I don't know what they are. Use `lsusb -v` to show more information including the device class.

If you still can't find it, next step would probably be to post the output of `journalctl -k -b` from both dom0 and sys-net. Also, as another user mentioned, open the **template** for sys-net (probably fedora-29, or such -- look in the template column of sys-net in the Qubes Manager) and make sure your wireless card firmware is installed. Don't attempt to install it in sys-net directly, because it will be lost on reboot.

Some info about wireless firmware:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firmware
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi#USB_Devices

Info about how templates work in Qubes, if you're not familiar:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-domu

2. How do I use an external display with HDMI? (just plugging it in
doesn't
work for me)

What do you see when you plug it in? "No signal"? Blank screen?

You might have to do some configuration in XFCE. Look under system tools
for monitor/screen settings. Otherwise, you could try installing KDE.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/kde/

Note that a lot of hardware features don't always work in Qubes. HDMI is
not tested very often by Qubes users, so I don't know if HDMI usually
works or not.

Does it work when running a Fedora 25 live CD? Did you have it working
on this machine on any other operating systems?

When I plug in my HDMI, nothing happens. On Windows, the external display
works when I plug it in. I can try running Fedora on a live usb to see what
happens.

Let us know if it works in Fedora, preferably Fedora 25 as that's what Qubes 4.0.x is based on. If it doesn't work in F25, try it in F31. You may want to try each of those in the XFCE flavor as well (https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/download/index.html), because Qubes uses XFCE.

You could also try a newer dom0 kernel. https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-dom0/#kernel-upgrade

Also, just wanted to add, it would be helpful for us to know what GPU you're using.

3. How do I reduce the lag on my USB mouse?

I'm afraid I don't know much about this. Are you using dom0 or sys-usb?
Is anything else laggy? Does the touchpad (if any) work alright?

You can try temporarily disabling sys-usb so devices are attached to
dom0. See if it works any better that way.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb-qubes/#removing-a-usb-qube

I don't think I have usb-qubes enabled. I wasn't able to enable them after
installation,
maybe because I have a USB keyboard.
However, my touchpad/trackpad doesn't work. What can I do about that?

That I'm also not real sure about. It's been a while since I've had to troubleshoot a touchpad. Typically they are USB devices, I think. Does it show up in dom0 lsusb? Do you see anything in `journalctl -k -b | grep -i input`? Do you know what touchpad you have (e.g. Synaptics, ALPS, Elantec)?

Here are some basic, non-Qubes tips to start with. Follow these and let us know what you get.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingTouchpadDetection

Also, once again, boot a Fedora live CD and make sure the touchpad works there. Try 25 first, and if it doesn't work try 31. This will help narrow it down.

You can also try a newer kernel, as mentioned above.