Well, I tried again and the upgrade worked.  I don't get it.  I changed the
size of the template yesterday, and it didn't work.  Today, I didn't change
anything, and it did.  The only thing that changed this time was that I
hard-power-cycled the machine, where before I had merely shut down the vms,
and then brought them up again.  So, I think you are right -- after
changing the size of the template vm, I had to "really" power cycle
everything instead of just shutting it down using the qubes manager.  Go
figure.

Thanks

billo