Hi, the one thing I did notice, was at the end of the install, you have to
remove the install pendrive from the laptop, before you reboot.  It took me
3 or 4 attempts to work that one out.  I don't remember that you can eject
it, but it does give you some kind of warning to remove the cd or similar
before rebooting.  Not sure what it is doing, but it gave the same black
screen on reboot, but then it just worked if I removed the pen drive,
before reboot.  Give that a try and let me know if it works.  I probably
will do a complete re+install now I have things working(well wireless via a
usb dongle, but working).

                                 good luck

                                                Sc0tt...