mandag den 16. marts 2020 kl. 21.41.32 UTC+1 skrev drbg...@gmail.com:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Good luck with this.  I have managed to install Ubuntu but you only get
>>> a small window (which apparently is fixable but I didn't go there).
>>> Networking is difficult and I could never get it to recognise my wifi
>>> adapter.  You could always try and install an Ubuntu template from here:
>>> https://qubes.3isec.org/Templates_4.0/  but that entails installing the
>>> template in dom0 which I wasn't real keen on.  There is guide here on how
>>> to do it.  Let me know if you can't find it and you want it.
>>>
>>> I also into the problems that you are citing.  I solved it by mucking
>>> around with installing it on xvda then xvdb etc.  I changed the virtual
>>> drive installation options and it worked.  But I'm just letting you know
>>> that you will opening a door to some more challenges.  I was trying to
>>> install Ubuntu because I know it and I can set up my printers etc, but I
>>> gave up and went through the learning of doing all of this on a Fedora
>>> template in qubes which was a better result anyway.
>>>
>>> Good luck.  Let us know how you go.
>>>

>> 1)  Thanks for the optimistic view. :)
>>
>> 2)  Regarding the small window: Have you tried to change the screen
>> resolutions in Ubuntu ? - although you can't get full screen, it should be
>> possible to get it at least almost full screen. It works in both Windows
>> 10, Linux Mint and Debian 10.3.
>>
>> 3)  For me it's fine if just I can get on the internet from within Ubuntu
>> by using a cable connection ? - I haven't been able to get it working in a
>> Debian GUI HVM, but at least in a Windows 10 and Linux Mint HVM. But I
>> would like to install a program that only works with Debian and Ubuntu, so
>> I need to at least get either Debian or Ubuntu to work and being able to
>> connect to the internet.
>>
>> 4)  Thanks for the link. For me this one sounds relevant:
>> https://qubes.3isec.org/Templates_4.0/qubes-template-bionic-desktop-4.0.1-202001121248.noarch.rpm
>>
>> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fqubes.3isec.org%2FTemplates_4.0%2Fqubes-template-bionic-desktop-4.0.1-202001121248.noarch.rpm&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNH2J5k5Sk36ySKBfxnLTYciH9K34g>
>>
>> as I guess it has a desktop with a GUI.
>>      To use it, shall I then just download it to a VM, copy it to dom0 by
>> executing this command; qvm-run -p <build_qube> "cat '
>> /home/user/Downloads/
>> qubes-template-bionic-desktop-4.0.1-202001121248.noarch.rpm'" >
>> qubes-template-bionic-desktop-4.0.1-202001121248.noarch.rpm  I guess "
>> <build_qube>" shall be replaced by the name of the new template, is that
>> correct ?
>>      And do I then just need to run this command to execute the file and
>> get the template created with a GUI desktop: chmod +x
>> qubes-template-bionic-desktop-4.0.1-202001121248.noarch.rpm && ./
>> qubes-template-bionic-desktop-4.0.1-202001121248.noarch.rpm ?
>>
>> 5)  Do I understand you correctly, that you installed Ubuntu as LVM, and
>> that worked... ? - If so, what options did you change. to make it work ? -

Thanks, the detailed description helped to better understand the commands.

So in order to install one of the template-files, the user has to do this:

1)  Download the template-file to a VM from this link:
https://qubes.3isec.org/Templates_4.0/
     I will try to download the following file as I would like to get a GUI
desktop:
https://qubes.3isec.org/Templates_4.0/qubes-template-bionic-desktop-4.0.1-202001121248.noarch.rpm

<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fqubes.3isec.org%2FTemplates_4.0%2Fqubes-template-bionic-desktop-4.0.1-202001121248.noarch.rpm&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNH2J5k5Sk36ySKBfxnLTYciH9K34g>

2)  Copy the file to dom0 by executing this command in the dom0 terminal:
qvm-run
--pass-io The_name_of_the_VM_the_template-file_was_downloaded_to 'cat
/home/user/Downloads/template.rpm' > /template.rpm
     Remember to write the name of the VM the template-file was downloaded
to instead of "The_name_of_the_VM_the_template-file_was_downloaded_to" and
the name of the template-file instead of "template".

3)  To check that the file is copied to dom0, execute this command in the
dom0 terminal: ls

4)  To install the template, execute this command in the dom0 terminal: sudo
dnf install template.rpm
     Info: The "dnf install" command is used to install a specific package.

If the user shall do any other things to install the template and make it
run properly, please write the steps in a detailed way so that all
qubes-users are able to follow the steps.

If these steps is all the steps the user has to make to get the template up
and running, please write this in a comment.

I will then try to install the template, see how it works and return with a
comment about this.