I have just installed Qubes on a Lenovo X230 with original Intel WiFi.  I go
McDonalds to try to use public WiFi. I power up. I get  A box to start Tor
connection. Which I am pretty sure will not work.  I cancel.  I start Debian 10
Firefox.  After awhile I get a cherry red connection icon on the upper right
side of screen.  It shows connections available.  I choose McDs.  McDs has a
privacy screen. Harden wall.  A button.  Click here to use internet.  Usually.
Nothing comes up in browser to allow me to get through this.

By comparison.  If I start Tails Linux.  I can start untrusted browser.  Get it
to initiate internet contact by typing in 1.1.1.1.  And untrusted browser will
bring up web page with login button to click on. After starting connection to
intermet.  I turn off untrusted browser and start tor browser.

Right now I have very limited time to test what might work as I only have few
minutes sitting in my car outside McDs.  I do have an iPhone. But my searches
have not brought up anything that tells me how to solve a problem.

Thanks for any help.