On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 04:04:03PM -0500, Sven Semmler wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 07:14:39PM +0000, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
> > True, but he should be able to use a non-Intel USB wifi adapter for
> > networking and disable the on-board Intel wifi in BIOS config or remove
> > the card entirely. It's unlikely (but not impossible) ME has drivers
> > built in that support networking over a 3rd party USB adapter.
>
> Can't say either way. I would assume that if you can connect, the ME can
> connect.

I don't think this is so - Intel states that the IME requires a supported
adapter, and I recall from my days as a network admin that remote
administration tools (which leverage the IME) could be stymied by
injudicious change of adapters.

It's also worth pointing out that no one (as far as I am aware) has ever
identified the IME "phoning home" to Intel, or anyone else, as OP seems
to think. I cant believe this is for lack of observation.
What *is* true is that the IME is not open to scrutiny, has
significant capabilities, and that exploits are out there.