On 5/9/20 8:45 PM, donov...@unseen.is wrote:
There are some that are both tech and investigators. I personally found Qubes to be a solution I wish I had found long before I did. In fact, for me it was easier to move from Windows (and DOS before that) to Linux as my primary work environment via Qubes rather than just a standalone linux box or VM because it provided two solutions in oneĀ  - move away from Windows and provide multiple more secure and isolated environments for my work. The technology landscape and associated threat vectors are very fluid and Qubes is part of the foundation for dealing with that. I even go so far as to suggest that Qubes should actually be the default OS for any computer user, but that is unrealistic of course.

I cringe at the occasional post that suggests or implies that Qubes is difficult. My background is almost exclusively M$ with the odd *nix appliance thrown in, hardly the foundation for moving essentially cold-turkey to Qubes that, for me, is based on an unfamiliar hypervisor and linux vms. It is a tool, albeit one that is a bit specialized to emphasize security. And like any tool, you have to learn how to use it to maximize its intended purpose. It's not rocket surgery or brain science, but it's also not a toaster. That said, I personally feel that moving to LibreOffice and Thunderbird in the Windows environment many years ago made the transition much easier and more familiar. My prior profession also required that I maintain some level of proficiency at the command/terminal prompt. That can be a big hurdle for people considering the transition to Qubes from Windows. That said, I still struggle with some tasks in Linux for which I have not developed any "muscle memory" for - yet. But it gets easier daily.

I tend to agree with this assessment of Qubes. I think more techies adopt it bc they understand what Qubes is doing for them under the hood. But otherwise its still a pretty friendly environment that presents its biggest challenges at install time.

Two of the biggest Qubes pitfalls are the template upgrade snafus (as originally described) and lack of access to AppVM internal configuration which is never presented in the menu by default.

I see a lot of posters attempting to use Qubes in much the same manner as they might a standalone box and sometimes with less than sterling results. All of that adds to the knowledge base of Qubes, but everything that I have read tells me that being a reasonably secure OS on a computer in a connected, information-centric production environment (as in, making a living) is the primary purpose for its creation. It serves that purpose well in my view. It'll likely not be a gaming box, a screaming video or CAD rendering beast or even support bleeding-edge hardware.

Qubes is a serious tool in the very serious and uncompromising world where the bar for what is considered dangerous information is lowered on a daily basis.

--
Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket