> I see that Qubes does not announce planned new releases of Qubes, or state
> what should trigger an update.
Releases are announced when ready for testing. In addition, releases of
templateVMs are announced in the Qubes-users/devel mailinglists.
> I am between updating Qubes with Fedora 32, which also means creating
> AppVMs, I am not sure how I would update the Work VM, as it is, I am
> guessing, based on Fedora 32.  All this translates to my working with Salt,
> which is shown a lot of in this forum.  Meaning I should learn Salt and
> some other things.
I can't comment on doing it through salt, but using the Qubes Template
Manager you can select which template a VM uses and mass change the
templates.
> Just seems like it would be so much easier if we had an entire new version
> of Qubes, which I could install.  At the same time, I am making sure any
> Malware I might have picked up gets clobbered.   And leaving me with the
> problem of re installing all of my personal files, my own personal fixes to
> Template VMs.  Instead many are learning Salt.
I'm not sure that reinstalling the entire OS and adding all changes made
to it would be better for most people. Installing a new template with
`qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-32` and moving VMs over to it
took me 10 minutes. Installing Qubes and getting the OS customised can
take me a few hours.
> This question also comes back to making Qubes easy for Human Rights
> Activists and Journalists.   I do not think those two groups will go to the
> trouble of learning how to install Salt.  I agree that since most of the
> changes for Human Rights Activists/Journalists are made inside Template VMs
> of (now usually Debian, or Fedora), that the folks who create Qubes for us,
> should not concern themselves with those things.
>
> So, anyone here have a guess as to what new version of Qubes might be
> nearly out?  Or should I start reading about how to work with Salt?

The next version of Qubes (4.1) is well on it's way. You can see
progress in the following links:

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A%22Release+4.1%22

As for salt, it's always recommended to learn and use a configuration
management system. But it's not necessary. It entirely depends on
whether you need to be able to rebuild your system from scratch or
automate updates.