On Monday, 3 August 2020 18:36:28 UTC+8, Chris Laprise wrote:

> 'curl' would only be used in a Whonix template. This is to signal Qubes'
> proxy to start the Tor-based updateVM as soon as possible. It should not
> try to run curl in a Fedora or regular Debian template.
>
> To suppress interactive prompts, you need to run the script with '-u' or
> '--unattended'.

Thanks--I managed to figure that out and respond right before you posted
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/SbLGJ1CWAWw/Bk1SyD-JAQAJ>, so
now I'm using the -atu option.

Not sure if it's a bug, but it seems like your script attempted to run curl
in Fedora. I can't copy the output, but the VM basically goes, "Errors
during downloading metadata for repository 'updates': Curl error (28); Curl
Error (23)" several times before throwing up its arms and giving up. Then
the script tells me that fedora-32-minimal update returned non-zero status.

> Yes, vm-boot-protect does lock down that dir, along with other startup
> files and dirs in /home. The way it does this is with the 'immutable'
> flag. To change it (re)start the VM and do:
>
> sudo chattr -i -R .config/autostart
>
> Then change what you need to in that path and restart the VM. During the
> startup process the dir and its contents will be automatically made
> immutable again.

Tested and confirmed working. When combined with your halt-vm-by-window
script, my Qube Manager is now basically my start menu. Who said security
doesn't mix well with useability? Now, if only there were a modification
that allowed you to start VMs by double-clicking on them in the Qube
Manager...

On Monday, 3 August 2020 19:05:29 UTC+8, Chris Laprise wrote:

> BTW, I think the appVM is the right place to make the .config/autostart
> change if the custom .desktop file is being applied on a per-VM basis.

Tested and confirmed to persist across reboots. Thanks a bunch!