On 2020-08-09 3:05 PM, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 8/8/20 10:20 AM, fiftyfourthparal...@gmail.com wrote:
>> So the new overview of the script is: have a dedicated (and
>> hardened?) tor VM --basically, whonix-ws-- download the metadata
>> from a few mirror sites, compare them to the metadata from Tor,
>> and if all checks out, compare the tor version to the packages
>> installed in dom0. If it doesn't check out, alert user and ask
>> whether to proceed. To do this entirely in dom0 (keeping it safe
>> and simple for a newbie at programming), I'm going to use qvm-run
>> with --pass-io somewhere in my script, along with something to
>> read the whonix output and run cross checks.
>
> Just an idea: Use the Qubes Security Bulletins as your reference
> for checking package versions:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/security/pack/
>
> These bulletins are signed txt files, which makes them secure. The
> difficult part would be parsing the QSBs themselves but I wonder
> if Qubes devs would agree to a standard format going forward to
> make it easier + reliable.

The QSB formats are actually pretty standardized already, though our
expectation has been that they'd be read by humans rather than
programmatically. We use a template [1] for the overall structure, and
in particular, the "Patching" section always follows this format:

```
Patching
=========

The specific packages that resolve the problems discussed in this
bulletin are as follows:

  For Qubes <supported_release_1>:
  - <package_1>
  - <package_2>
  - <package_3>
  - <package_etc...>

  For Qubes <supported_release_2>:
  - <package_1>
  - <package_2>
  - <package_3>
  - <package_etc...>

The packages are to be installed in dom0 via the Qube Manager or via
the qubes-dom0-update command as follows:

  For updates from the stable repository (not immediately available):
  $ sudo qubes-dom0-update

  For updates from the security-testing repository:
  $ sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-security-testing

A system restart will be required afterwards.

These packages will migrate from the security-testing repository to the
current (stable) repository over the next two weeks after being tested
by the community.

If you use Anti Evil Maid, you will need to reseal your secret
passphrase to new PCR values, as PCR18+19 will change due to the new
Xen binaries.
```

Feel free to take a look at any QSBs for specific examples. [2] I'm sure
it wouldn't be a problem to change the syntax slightly if that would
make things easier, as long as it doesn't harm human readability.

[1] https://www.qubes-os.org/security/bulletins/template/
[2] https://www.qubes-os.org/security/bulletins/

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)