On Monday, 17 August 2020 at 08:38:20 UTC+8 Chris Laprise wrote:

> The mail-archive site doesn't come up prominently in searches and I even
> forgot it existed, but thanks for the reminder.
>
> The list remains in peoples' minds as being a "Google group" so they are
> likely to gravitate toward Google to read its contents. So what we have
> is a pressure tactic from Google to trace more user activity across the
> web – user logs into Google to read some list messages, and Google links
> their recent and future browsing history to the users' identity.
>
> This doesn't affect list subscribers much, as we can read messages in
> our email clients. But Google knows the many 'casual' list users who are
> not subscribed are not 'casual' users of the entire web, and they are
> likely to sign in just to get at a handful of messages that could solve
> their problem.
>
> --
> Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
> https://github.com/tasket
> https://twitter.com/ttaskett
> PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB 4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886

As someone who has had an open tab on the Google Groups page for a long
time, I want to add that activity has dropped *dramatically* since Google
started mandating logins. Like, it has fallen off a cliff and now the place
has a ghost town vibe to it.

With the changes in Google Group's interface, I'm tempted to abandon this
place entirely and shift to mail, but for the sake of having more
participants, it'd be nice to have the forum/mailing list somewhere less
restrictive.