On 8/19/20 8:52 AM, Dylanger Daly wrote:
So I managed to wrestle with Qube's build system and compile kernel-latest 5.8.1 after installing the resulting rpm I'm still observing the same black screen bug.

/Linux dom0 5.8.1-1.qubes.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Aug 19 11:21:32 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux/

Thanks for trying this.

This bug must be something IOMMU / Memory Management related.

 > Yes, better support for new Ryzen CPU's would be nice.

I'm sure this issue will be fixed within a few weeks, AMD's new Laptop CPUs are all the rage right now, support shouldn't be too far behind, in the meantime I'll monitor the master branch for Xen <https://github.com/xen-project/xen/commits/master>and watch for any AMD specific commits.

I am thinking of ways to make a standard Linux KVM environment more Qubes-like just in case this takes months or forever. My short list is:

1. Secure copy+paste

2. Auto snap-back (like read-only) for guest root

3. Isolated NICs via passthrough

4. Split GPG

Probably a good place to get tips for these would be Whonix forum, since they also use non-Qubes virtualization.

--
Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket