On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 02:32:33PM -0700, 'qubes os' via qubes-users wrote:
> I need help recovering my OS!
>
> When I have fully started QubesOS, only *dom0 is up and ready* for use -
> but *no Qube is booted up* whatsoever.
>
> When I then try to start a Qube manually from the Qube Manager, i.e.
> "sys-ubs", then I get the error message:
>
> "*volume qubes_dom0/vm-fedora-29-root missing*"
>
> But I did certainly not delete anything from my system, so it cannot be
> missing. How can I get this up and running again?
>
> (Btw, I got here because I had the following bug and ran the explained
> procedure: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5160)
>
> Thank you very much for any help!

This tells you that the fedora-29 template is broken.
You could copy the file from your installation media in to dom0 and
install it by hand. (If necessary this may require that you allow dom0
to access the USB devices, or that you boot from a live system.)

Do you have recent backups?

You can access the private data in each qube, as they are stored in
volumes that you can find under /dev/dm-XXX.
The familiar names are under /dev/qubes_dom0 - `ls -l` will show you the
"real" volume under /dev

You can try mounting important private disks and copying out the data,
to be on the safe side.