On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 10:34:14PM +0000, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
> mgla...@gmail.com:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Hopefully I'm doing something silly here.
> >
> > I want to add a couple of entries into my /etc/hosts file in a specific VM.
> > The instructions here are nice and
> > clear: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/config-files/ except... that doesn't
> > work.
> >
> > I've added the following to my /rw/config/rc.local :
> > echo '127.0.0.1 example.com' >> /etc/hosts
> > And after a VM restart my /etc/hosts is unchanged.
>
> Might have to add "sudo" in front of that echo. Also, double-check that
> rc.local is set as executable and in proper script format. Does it work if
> you run it yourself from the command line?
>
> > Also, as an aside, is it odd that rc.local is owned by root, if it's
> > something that's expected to be changed per-VM?
>
> No, because it's only the root account that belongs to the VM.

I do this with a (fairly) extensive list , and block dns.
I keep the entries in a file in /rw/config/hosts, and then in rc.local:
cat  /rw/config/hosts >> etc/hosts

Doesn't need sudo for that - and the file should be in proper format and
executable already, (but always worth checking).
Works for me.