On Wednesday, 20 January 2021 at 22:34:31 UTC awokd wrote:

> mgla...@gmail.com:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Hopefully I'm doing something silly here.
> >
> > I want to add a couple of entries into my /etc/hosts file in a specific
> VM.
> > The instructions here are nice and
> > clear: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/config-files/ except... that
> doesn't
> > work.
> >
> > I've added the following to my /rw/config/rc.local :
> > echo '127.0.0.1 example.com' >> /etc/hosts
> > And after a VM restart my /etc/hosts is unchanged.
>
> Might have to add "sudo" in front of that echo. Also, double-check that
> rc.local is set as executable and in proper script format. Does it work
> if you run it yourself from the command line?

Thanks.

It's literally

 #!/bin/sh

# several lines of comment

docker --data-root /home/user/docker || true

echo '1.2.3.4 my-domain.example' >> /etc/hosts
echo '1.2.3.4 another-domain.example' >> /etc/hosts

Yes, when I run the script myself with sudo ./rc.local then it works fine.

Argh. I think I've found the issue. It's the command to start docker that's
causing the rest of the file to be ignored :(

I had presumed it was erroring, so appending || true would get me around
that. But didn't think that the dockerd command could be running in the
foreground.

So, not for the first time, user error instead of an issue with the setup
of Qubes itself!

Any ideas where I could find the output when this file is run? That may
help me track down similar issues next time around.

Thanks for your help.