On 1/16/21 1:10 AM, unman wrote:
On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 12:41:04AM +0100, Ulrich Windl wrote:
Hi!

I have a question about installing additional software (e.g. GIMP in
debian-10):
The options I see are:
1) Install it in some AppVM based on debian-10
2) Clone debian-10 template and install software there. Create some AppVM
based on that template

I'd guess 1) needs less space, but for 2) I'm not sure what happens when
updates are applied to both, the template and the AppVM.

Regards,
Ulrich

1. needs less space, but at the expense of security, since all AppVMs
based on that template will have a large number of
applications/libraries which may be ripe for exploit.

I'm not altogether clear on what you mean here. You then have two

Sorry for the late response: I mean if I install e.g. GIMP in an AppVM based on debian 10, what happens if I update the AppVM first (updating some parts of debian 10 and GIMP) and later I update the debian10 template: Couldn't there be conflicts between the updates in the AppVM and the template? If not, wouldn't that waste space by keeping some updates more than once?

templates which will need updating - unless you are using a caching
proxy instead of the standard tinyproxy, this is going to take time and
suck up bandwidth.
You can, naturally, update the AppVM separately from the template, as
usual, but updates will be lost on reboot. (I do this sometimes when I am
checking on updates/installs or configuration changes: one of the great
things about Qubes.)

If the AppVM is not a disposable one, the updates are still lost? Wouldn't that mean any (e.g.) update for GIMP would be lost as well?

Regards,
Ulrich