On 9/1/21 3:11 PM, Sven Semmler wrote:
I do have freezes and crashes with the 5.4 kernel and have to use 4.19
consequently. But I don't know what causes it. How did you determine
that it's the i915 driver in your case?

Sad for you, but I am kind of happy that I am not alone :) Maybe you add
your experience to my bug report

as well?  Sometimes I need a vanilla debian (life system on usb) to
uefi-debug / emergencybackup. And even that one hangs from time to time,
by spitting out a last word

 [drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] ERROR CPU pipe A FIFO
underrun

Since the std debian is very stable and much less complex than xen +
qubes, I take that as a hint (badly enough, when qubes freezes happen,
qubes dies faster than kernel logs are written, so I have no other
starting point anyways).

For these reasons, my suspicion was early on the i915 driver. Also, i915
seems known problematic from 5.x kernels onwards any kind of other
linuxes (google it).

 cheers, Bernhard

P.S: my chipset is an intel 620  [8086:5917] rev 07.