On Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 9:29:43 PM UTC+2 haa...@web.de wrote:

> On 9/1/21 7:44 PM, Mike Keehan wrote:
> > On 9/1/21 1:36 PM, Bernhard wrote:
> >> Hello, I wonder if some of you guys have the bad luck of an i915
> >> graphics card and found some solutions.  For me, no >= 5.4 xen kernel
> >> works (freezes). So I still run it on 4.19 :)
> >
> > I think it is the recent i915 driver update that causes the problem.
> > I had to remove it and download and install the previous version.
> > then I blacklisted the i915 driver so that dom0 would not update it.
> >
> > Screen does not freeze anymore.
> >
> > Only "problem" is that the "Qubes Update" widget thinks there is
> > always an update to be made.  Just have to ignore it.
> >
> > Mike.
> >

> Sound worth a trial (easily reversible, right?) Which version did you
> install? And how find out the version of firmware installed? Thx, Bernhard

Sound like my problem: kernels above 5.4.88 freeze/crash. Would be great if
we could isolate the troublemaker and fix the problem.

@Bernhard:
You can check driver and firmware version with:
[root@dom0]# modinfo i915

@Mike:
Do you simply use working (i.e. old) driver/fw binaries with a recent
kernel, or did you patch/install from source?

Peter