On 7/6/22 10:02, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
On Wed, Jul 06, 2022 at 12:27:11AM -0700, Peter Palensky wrote:
Same here. Only 4.x and  5.4.175 kernel works for me (Dell hardware :-( ).
I am afraid of losing that when updating...

You see the 4.1 ISO contains an "extrakernels" folder (empty). The
question is: which files go there, and how modify the iso-boot procedure
so that one were  allowed to select the kernel. Sounds like a reasonable
feature, no?

I failed on this: iso's are complicated, linux boot is complicated (and
therefore abstracted out into software).

> Yeah, this really needs to be addressed.  Would it be possible to
> bisect
> between kernels 5.4.x and 5.10.x to see what went wrong?  The relevant
> git tags are signed by Linus Torvalds or Greg Kroah-Hartman, and their
> public keys are in the (signed) qubes-linux-kernel git repository.>

but as far as my dell hardware is concerned, 5.4 kernels are already
unstable. I expect no gain from this! I guess adding the 4.19
(extra)kernel to the iso is the least painful way to go.

Bernhard