'Crsi' via qubes-users wrote:
Hi,

I recently upgraded from R4.0 to R4.1 with a fresh installation.
I did make a backup of all my important Qubes to an external drive beforehand and everything completed successfully. I also checked "verify backup" -- no error reported.

Do you often reboot your VMs? When Qubes creates a backup of a running VM it will do the backup using the VM state at startup. So if for example you started your VM (the ones with the outdated/missing data) 6 weeks ago, but since starting you added/edited/deleted data and you create a backup, without restarting the VM, the backup will not include those changes.

On the new installation, I restored all my Qubes from the backup.
When starting to work with them again, I noticed that some data was apparently missing from some (not all!) of the Qubes. It turned out that in two of the restored VMs all data of the last six weeks (!) was completely missing. It looked like the VM had a state like from my last full VM backup using the backup utility (which was exactly that six weeks ago).

I tried restoring the VM again -- but same result. Searching for some issue like that only gave me [Issue #3498]. Apparently I was hit by the "flaw" that the verification doesn't detect missing data.

I guess I have no chance to restore my data whatsoever, since the old drive was wiped. Anyhow, just posting this: does someone has a clue *why* that could have happened? I don't want anyone to loose their work of six weeks, too.

[Issue #3498]: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3498