On 8/14/22 18:09, Qubes wrote:
Doing a gracefull shutdown or the VM crashing AFAIK is the same in terms of the backup function as we have discussed. If your VM crashed the state of the data on disk would still be the same compared to gracefully shutting down the VM.

My VM didn't crash -- the host system did. Therefore, I suspect the volume `vm-<name>-private` was never updated with the content of `vm-<name>-private-snap`, which probably occurs only on graceful VM shutdown (or on VM crash, but then the host system cleans things up and moves it correctly). If the host crashed, then this clean-up didn't take place. What a bad situation, indeed.

Do you still have access to the old system to re-do the backup? Alternatively if you still have access to the old system you could manually mount the private volume of the VM and copy the data across.

Sadly, I have no access to my old drive anymore as I pointed out earlier.