On Sun, Nov 6, 2022, 9:29 AM Ulrich Windl <ulrich.wi...@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Watching xentop, I have a question:
> I know that the network operations aren't accounted in xentop when
> running Qubes OS, but I'm wondering:
> For domain-0 all of the disk I/O (VBD_RD, VBD_WR, VBD_RSECT, VBD_WSECT)
> also seem to be zero,

This is because dom0 does not use paravirtualized disk drivers.
Specifically, no Xen block backend device in dom0 is connected to a block
frontend device in dom0, since the latter does not exist. Instead, dom0
accesses disks directly like a bare-metal OS.

If you want disk I/O statistics for dom0, you want to use something like
iotop.

and for sys-net-dm all the writes seem to be zero.

DM stands for "device model," a main role of which is to emulate the
physical (i.e. non-virtualized) hardware for HVM guests that do not have
the paravirtualized device drivers installed. If sys-net has all the
necessary paravirtualized drivers (which almost always is the case),
sys-net does not need the DM to access the disk. This is why sys-net-dm
does not access the disk after boot.

Is it because sys-net is a "HVM"?

No. You'll observe non-zero disk I/O numbers in the DM when you boot e.g. a
Windows HVM without Xen paravirtualized disk drivers.