I maintain a Xen Prometheus exporter.  Here is what I know:

You will not see device writes or reads in the dm stubs because no process in
them is reading or writing from disks.

The Prometheus exporter is awesome, BTW.  You can get system statistics and
ingest them into Prometheus for system profiling and tuning.  I don't know how
I lived using xentop before I began maintaining the exporter.  Watching Grafana
is a far more satisfying way to explore data.