On Dec 1, 3:40 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal
Murray) wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >Does anybody know of any *practical* samples on how to
> >implement NTP/SNTP client?. The goal is to provide accurate
> >time for a program/client running on Windows Vista.
>
> Just curious.  Why do you want to roll your own as compared
> to run one of the existing packages?

 Existing packages set the PC system/CMOS clock, and my application
 would have to read it which is not very reliable approach.
 My app needs direct access to periodic (5-60mins) accurate ***direct*
  timestamps and it will use high frequency counter provided by PC
 between.

> >Only a narrow description focused on NTP/SNTP request/reply
> >datagrams for a simple PC client, preferably in C/C++ source
> >code.
>
> I don't know of any good code you can copy.

 I does not have to be a source code but a description/algorithm by
somebody
 who actually coded reliably.

> I'd start at:
>  http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/SoftwareDownloads
> and look in the sntp directory.

  I did find it. However, the packages use gz formats used by Unix.
  My PC does not have any utility to uncompress them.