Dave,

While I would agree with you in general, we don't have any real idea
what the Windows code is doing whether or not it is a uniprocessor or
multiprocessor. I very much doubt that they duplicated your work though
I would think that it's very important for the CPU's to keep each other
in close synch in order for threading to work properly. I can say that
at least with threading they have gotten it right and done a better job
than almost every other O/S that I know. I doubt that they could do that
if the CPU's were not properly synchronized.

Danny