Martin Burnicki wrote:
> Guys,
>
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> The Windows implementation does try to provide granularity within the
>> tick, but I have no idea how the Meinberg port I'm using handles
>> multi-processors.  Checking.  I see the routine: nt_clockstuff.c mentions
>> that how to handle multi-processors is not yet decided, but that seems
>> very old code (year 2000).  I can't find the RDTSC instruction anywhere in
>> version ntp-4.2.4p4.  So I'm a bit stuck right now!
>
> I think a few notes are required here.
>
> The ntpd port for Windows does interpolate (or extrapolate?) between the
> timer ticks. This has been in the NTP code base for a long time and has
> _not_ been invented by Meinberg.

Right. However Pete Rosin (Eckberg) and Terje Mathisen back in May had
come up with a scheme to provide additional code to improve the
interpolation. That is what is not yet in the code.

> While on legacy multiprocessor systems the CPU clocks (and thus the TSC) may
> differ for each CPU, I'm _assuming_ that multicore CPUs are clocked by the
> same source, so the TSCs should runs synchrounously.

Perhaps we need definition of the difference between multi-CPU and
multi-core how that effects the clock, TSC, etc. because that's not
entirely clear to me.

Danny