[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Does anybody know of any *practical* samples on how to
> implement NTP/SNTP client?. The goal is to provide accurate
> time for a program/client running on Windows Vista.
>
> Specifically, what values to include in the the request message,
> how to process the reply message, etc.
>
> I am NOT asking how to send/receive UDP datagrams, or where
> to find comprehensive descriptions like RFC documents, or how
> to build or design user interfaces.
>
> Only a narrow description focused on NTP/SNTP request/reply
> datagrams for a simple PC client, preferably in C/C++ source
> code.

Why not just install ntpd and be done? The source code is available for
download from ntp.org.

If you really want to write your own look at RFC4330 and at the NTP v4
draft now getting ready to become an RFC.

Also you need to make sure you keep within the limits of how often you
make a request (normally no more frequently than once every 64 seconds)
and you need to handle KoD packets and follow the requirements of the draft.

Danny