Harlan,

You make some good points. However, if folks want SNTP from here I think
they would prefer it in its own distribution rather than bundle it with
the huge NTP distribution. You can make a strong argument to host here
if the claim that both NTP and SNTP are strictly specification
conformant. That's why I rewrote the SNTP documentation to take out all
mention that it could be used as a server.

The three of us that wrote rfc 2030 had just come down from a massive
clogging situation at UWisc and NIST and were frantic to get across the
need for polite client behavior. This has to do with DNS lookups, poll
intervals and behavior when no response is received. Even so, there
remains at least three violators of those principles right now on two of
our public servers. Therefore, if an SNTP product leaves here, it really
and surely should compley with the on-wire protocol in the NTPv4 spec
and these best practices.

A aside, I should reveal my biases. At the moment, to configure the
current software on an Sun Ultra 5 takse 12 minutes, 6 minutes for NTP
and 6 minutes for SNTP. But, it takes only 8 minutes to compile and link
all programs, including both NTP and SNTP. It is not now possible to
build either separately.

As I have said privately before, the NTP daemon can be operated in SNTP
mode which does everything NTP does, but terminates just after the clock
has been set for the first time. Yes, it has a rather large footprint,
but it lasts only about 11 seconds. The downside is that it requires a
configuration file containing a list of servers. If this were done on
the command line, NTP in SNTP mode would be indistinguishable from SNTP
other than a command line option.

So, the ideal solution would seem to include a list of links on the NTP
home page to external sites and in addition internal links to the NTP
and SNTP distributions along with a statement that both are strictly
specification conformant. That might inspire other wannabees to make and
enforce similar claims.

Dave