Bill,

Before 1972 there were no leap secconds; however there were periodic
introductions of tiny rate adjustments relative to Ephemeris Time (ET)
that drove everybody nuts. There never has been and most likely never
will be leap deletions. In any case the timecode generators at WWVB and
WWV cannot handle deletions.

There seems to be widespread misinterpretation on how NTP handles leap
seconds. Please see: http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/leap.html.

The historical and technical basis for the chronometry and metrology of
the NTP timescale has been carefully considered and published:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/database/papers/time.pdf. This includes
the historic introduction of ET, TAI, UTC and leap seconds. There have
been some attempts to project the Earth wobble into the future, but the
only reliable predictions now come from the IERS. The historic record of
the NTP project, inlcuding the adoption of the NTP timescale, has been
published: http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/database/papers/history.pdf.

Dave