sla29970,

Thanks for the report, which has personal nostalgia for me. My logbook
has all US Navy loudenboomers on all frequencies including VLF. WWVL on
20 kH haa long been a silent key. The LORAN 1-PPS pulses alledged from
Cape Fear never came from there; they came, as I personally verified,
from Coast Guard NAVCEN in Wildwood, NJ. NASA should have had more
influence on WWV, as the original location of the WWV transmitters was
at what is now NASA Goddard (GSFS) in Greenbelt, MD. I once lived about
a mile from there. The original quartz oscillators were and so far as I
know are still buried in holes twenty feet deep. The NASA Goddard ham
radio station W3NAN occupies the site.

There are many  minor technical errors in the report, but it is still
fun reading. The author missed Navy NST/AOK... station once known from
Aorta, Spain. For whatever reason, there is no mention whatsoever of the
US Navy Omega VLF system, once the worldwide timing beacon before
satellite. I know that since I have one of the original Cesium
oscillators once used to calibrate the eight stations. It was
transported all over the world as an international first-class air
passenger complete with battery case. I have its logbook.

Dave