Michael B Allen wrote:
> The following config works:
>
>   driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
>   server 192.168.2.15 iburst
>
> The clock was sync'd in a matter of seconds.
>
> I kinda figured it would work since I have other servers that use it
> and I've asked about this on this list before and was told that the
> above was the minimum client config. I was just intrigued that Ubuntu

It's not minimum; it includes some, but not all, of the optional things
that are considered best current practice (it doesn't contain 4 servers,
which is the other common BCP requirement).

Given that your drift rate is 6666 ppm and ntpd needs it to be somewhat
less than 500ppm, I suspect you are getting a continuous sequence of
steps and you just happened to look after a step (and iburst is allowing
  it to actually get a time measurement fast enough that it does exceed
128ms before the time is measured.

I don't know how VMWare handles the TSC, but unless it handles it in a
away intended for real time measurement, rather than CPU usage
measurement the calibration may be run at a time that doesn't match
average conditions.  If that theory is correct, you need to disable TSC
as a time source.