"David L. Mills" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Bill,

>You are going about this the wrong way. The discipline has its own
>chapter in my book, but you might not want to go there. An appendix of

I finally did order your book, but it will take a while to get here.

>rfc 1305 discussed it in a primitive way. The Clock Discipline
>Principles and Precision Time Synchronization briefings on the NTP
>project page are old but applicable. The details you are asking for are
>carefully explained in the NTPv4 spec.

Thanks. 1305 is just the start I want.
Where is the NTPv4 spec located?

>Notice the second-order transfer function given both in my book and rfc
>1395 hss components of both phase and frequency. So the proper question
>for you to ask is whether the implementation faithfully computes that
>function. I claim it does and confirm by empirical verification of the

I am willing to believe, barring contrary evidence, that your faithfully
implimented the protocol. (and that the Linux people faithfully implimented
the protocol in the kernel discipline routines).

I am still trying to get a handle on why ntp has much worse behaviour than
chrony does. I think I understand the chrony model ( although I would like
to find somewhere where the raw adjtime ( not adjtimex) routine (or should
I say the adjtimex SINGLESHOT routine) works.

Anyway, thanks.