>The ntp log file shows when NTP steps the time. But then the potential harm
>is already done. Especially if the time moves backward, our server might
>have serious trouble. Is there a log event which indicates that the time is
>going to be reset in order to enable us to take appropriate action before
>the actual reset?

I don't know of any way to get advanced warning when ntpd is about to
step the time.

There are command line switches to prevent stepping and to allow
one step at startup time.

The disadvantage with preventing steps is that it might take a long
time to correct the time.  But if you start with good time your clock
will never get off far enough to cause problems.

Is there a wiki page on this topic?