"David J Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Unruh wrote:
>[]
>> But ntp arguably should handle jumps in time or frequency faster than
>> the hours or days it takes now.

>Why?  A jump (to me) implies an error in the hardware.  Who is to say that

Or an error in software (missed timer ticks), or...

>it's a one-off jump, or that it might not occur again in a few seconds,

Yes, who is to say. So ntp should correct each one as quickly as possible.

>minutes ot hours?  Should it not be the hardware which is corrected, not
>NTP?

On that argument ntp should not do anything more than rdate did, since if
the oscillator on the clocks were perfect there would be no need for
anything but an single setting of the clock once per bootup. So ntp should
not try to correct any errors but rather people should be advised to buy
new hardware. The whole point to ntp is to try to keep the clocks operating
as close to real time as possible in the real world-- with bad oscillators,
time jumps in the OS, ....
Agreed it ain't perfect, the question is how close to perfection can we get
it.