[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sullivan, George E.) writes:

>Hi all,

>Can someone point me to a good document that
>shows how to setup a Time Server?  I have an
>isolated network that cannot get to the Internet
>to sync time.  I have Solaris 8,9,10 and Red Hat Linux
>Advanced Server 4 servers as potential time server
>candidates.

So do you have something which can give you the time (Windows is a bad
idea). A gps (eg for $60 and a bit of soldering you can set up a Garmin
18LVC gps to give usec accuracy time to the server).

>I've never setup a time server so please be gentle
>with my ignorance on this issue.  :)

>In the past I was just cron'ing the ntpdate command
>to query a Windows 2003 server.  I kept this Win Server's
>time up-to-date weekly and manually by visually checking the
>time on the Naval Observatory Atomic Clock.

Hmm, Use chrony/chronyc. It is set up to allow you to use wristwatch
setting to set the server. Then you can use eitehr ntp or chrony on the
other machines to get the time from that server.

chrony cannot use refclocks ( hardware clocks).