Bill,

As a physicist you know about the sampling theorem and Nyquist rate. The
feedbacl loop bandwith and poll interval have been carefully chosen so
that, even using only one of eight samples, the net sampling rate is
twice the Nyquist rate. Oversampling doesn't improve the timekeeping
accuracy and can even contribute spurioud high-frequency noise.

Dave