Hal,

You should see the current web documentation on rate control and the KoD
packet. Rate control is on a per-client baiss, so if 10,000 clients all
light up at the same time, each will be treated individually. KoD
packets are themselves rate controlled, so the effect might be to drop
massive numbers of packets, yet toss a KoD or two over the fence.

Rate controls apply to all packets sent from a client; so, if the client
sets minpoll 3 and iburst to a server with rate limit 6, one packet will
be accepted each 64-s interval no matter what.

The current reference implementation (ntp-dev) responds to KoD by
setting the outgoing rate at whatever is returned in the KoD packet, so
automatically adaptes to prevailing conditions.

Dave