Hal Murray wrote:

> Noob wrote:
>
>> One of my systems had been running for ~6 weeks. During this time,
>> the frequency offset computed by ntpd remained stable between
>> -6.6 ppm and -6.2 ppm.
>>
>> On April 30, the time offset started climbing and reached 14 ms in
>> approximately 90 minutes. ntpd started bumping the frequency offset,
>> down to -9.4 ppm.
>>
>> Today, the frequency offset remains around -9.4 ppm.
>> (And the time offset stays below 1 ms).
>
> Did the temperature change?

The temperature in the server room is not constant at all, because the
server room is cooled with air from outside. The temperature diff
between night and day is on the order of 5-10°C.

Still, the system clock remained within -6.6 ppm and -6.2 ppm.
(I do admit that I do not understand how that is possible.)

> My systems run about 1 PPM/C so it would take a pretty big
> shift to explain 3 PPM.  Maybe somebody adjusted the
> air conditioner in the server room?  Or installed a new
> server that's blowing a lot of hot air in your direction?

The air conditioner is only run when the outside temp peaks over 25°C.

And someone did install a very hot server, but this was two weeks ago.

To this day, ntpd considers the frequency offset has remained at
approx. -10.1 ppm for over 36 hours.

It looks like the crystal oscillator inside the system has been
suddenly and permanently altered. Is that even possible?

Regards.