On 2008-12-02, Cal Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 21:29 +0000, Steve Kostecke wrote:

>> Orphan Mode was introduced in version 4.2.2
>
> It sure would be nice if there were more documentation about Orphan
> mode.

The Official Distribution Documentation is maintained by one individual.
And it (http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html) tracks the NTP
development tree.

The NTP Public Services Project operates a Distribution Documentation
Archive at http://doc.ntp.org/. This archive contains "frozen" versions
of the Distribution Documentation present in each stable release.

> There is nothing in the man or info pages for any version.

The Official Distribution Documentation is maintained, and released, as
HTML. Other forms of documenation (e.g. man pages, info, etc.) are
maintained by third parties.

> The only scraps I could find were a short blurb on the "associations"
> page at ntp.org and an archived mailing list post.

This is one reason why we have a Community Supported Documentation
system (at http://support.ntp.org/support). Volunteers are welcome to
add / correct / improve documentation.

>> >========
>> > Configs:
>> >========
> [...]
>
> Thank you for the corrected config lines.

Those are complete replacements for your existing configuration files.
There were a number on non-functional lines (e.g. broadcastdelay) which
where elidded.

> I'm assuming that staggering the stratum of the undisciplined local
> clocks will settle any ambiguity if the master server dies.

Yes, it will.

--
Steve Kostecke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>