Chris Dew wrote:
> I'm new to setting up ntpd.
>
> When ntp works successfully, it logs that fact to syslog.
>
> When it fails (because I've provided a deliberately bogus timeserver),
> it sends nothing to syslog, even 10 minutes after boot.
>
> What should its behaviour be, when it can't contact its timeserver(s)?

<snip>

There is not much it CAN do.  It tells you, if you are paying attention,
  that it cannot reach a server to synchronize with.  Paying attention
means making some use of the monitoring tools provided; e.g. ntpq and ntpdc.

Note that ntpd is a "slow starter" it will typically take about thirty
minutes from a cold start to get your clock well synchronized.  A warm
start should be a little faster.

Normally, reaching a server is not a problem.  If ntpd can't reach its
configured servers, something is horribly wrong somewhere and your
network people should be working like beavers to fix it!