Unruh wrote:
> As in my previous post, my ntp (4.2.4p4) running with a local shm refclock
> which gives it the PPS from my Garmin 18LVC, a remote level 1 source, and
> a remote level 2 sever, has tai=0 but has the leap flag set ( certainly
> not from my Garmin receiver).
> Of course I did NOT have the leapseconds file installed when I started
> ntpd.

So it seems the leap flag has been received from the upstream NTP server.

As I've already mentioned earlier I think ntpd should generate a log message
by default (not only if explicitely configured) when it receives a leap
second announcement, and from which source the announcement is received.

> I assume that there is some special sentences other than the NMEA
> sentences which the Meinberg gps receiver uses to deliver the leap second
> warning.

Maybe. I'm not too familiar with NMEA since the Meinberg GPS clocks mostly
use a different time string format which is compatible with our DCF77
receivers, which have already been existing before the first GPS clocks
became available.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki