Michael,

Are you up for submitting a patch?

>>> In article <%a7bvjf...@khar-pern.talamasca.ocis.net>, Michael Deutschmann
>>> <mich...@talamasca.ocis.net> writes:

Michael> I now have NTP-with-mlockall() installed and chiming on my Linux
Michael> systems.
Michael> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Harlan Stenn wrote:
>> Please see http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/LockingNtpdInMemory
>> and the related links on that page.
>>
>> http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/NewNtpConfFormat#Memory_locking also
>> has some information that might be useful.

Michael> I've looked into those links.  Sounds like the problem is not
Michael> actually mlockall(), it's setrlimit().

Michael> When using mlockall(), ntpd adjusts the stack limit downward, out
Michael> of fear that the operating system will deny the lock unless it can
Michael> pre-commit real memory for the worst-case stack size.

Michael> Glibc's resolver is apparently a stack hog, and chafes under a
Michael> limit which is otherwise comfortable for ntpd.

Michael> Denying mlockall() only solves the problem because then ntpd won't
Michael> bother with setrlimit().

Michael> If so, then the cure is simple: When a resolver process is forked,
Michael> it's first act should be to reset the stack limit to what it was in
Michael> the first place.  There's no worry about overcommitting real
Michael> memory, because mlockall() is not inherited across forks.

Michael> ---- Michael Deutschmann <mich...@talamasca.ocis.net>

--
Harlan Stenn <st...@ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!