George R. Kasica <geor...@netwrx1.com> writes:

>>>Next step....I added back GPS NEMA data without the gpsd daemon (I
>>>don't pass the data out to anywhere so there's no real need for it)
>>
>>What does "I added back GPS NMEA" mean? What program did you use to do
>>that? What reads teh NMEA data and passes it on to ntp.
>Put the config lines back in ntp.conf so it would read the NMEA data.

>>># ntpq -p
>>>     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
>>>jitter
>>>==============================================================================
>>>xGPS_NMEA(0)     .GPS.            0 l   13   16  377    0.000  -616.37
>>>10.466
>>
>>Looks to me like you could get rid of that offset with a fudge.
>What would be a good amount to use half the avg. erorr or ??

>>>I have good PPS and am getting GPS NEMA in as well but the offset for
>>>the NEMA data seems quite large....what would I do to fix that??
>>
>>Use the fudge to get rid of that offset. nmea is very very slow. And I
>>suspect that you are having the Garmin report a huge number of nmea
>>sentences. That takes along time to parse.
>>
>>And it does not report on the resulting time until the sentences finish.
>>Having just the one standard sentence would reduce that time.
>How would I get that to occur? I don't see a way to cut down on the
>data sent by the unit....

Yousend it an NMEA sentence telling it to not report those sentences you do
not need.

Setup minicom to listen to the serial port and display the output to your
screen so you can see which sentences are actually being reported. Then
send it the sentences to tell it to switch off the ones you do not need.

The PGRMO NMEA sentence tells teh garmin to switch off or on the sentence.
EG sending
PGRMO,,2<CR><LF>
(all MUST end with carriage return line feed) will disable all sentences.
That doing
PGRMO,GPRMC,1<CR><LF>
will enable just the GPRMC sentence.

(The first argument is teh sentence to affect, the second is
0=disable,1=enable, 2=disable all, 3=enable all)

I found that the easiest way was to construct the sentence in a file,
putting the <CR><LF> at the end of the file, and then cutting and pasting
into the minicom terminal program.