David J Taylor <david-tay...@blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
wrote:
> j...@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
> []
>> The point is LOTS of places have extensive procedures in place that
>> must be followed before any software on production systems can be
>> changed, including applying vendor supplied and recommended patches.
>>
>> While I have free reign to do anything I want with my systems, such is
>> not the case for many of my client's systems.
>
> Oh, indeed, but I might ask why my client was still running, or had chosen
> to install in the first place, such outdated versions of software, before
> taking on those systems.  But that's life, I suppose.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Solaris 10 Update 6 IS the latest release of Solaris and the provided
NTP is nowhere near the latest downloadable version of NTP.

I would have to check, but I am pretty sure the same is true for HP-UX.

Not everyone runs Linux nor do they usually choose a OS for a rather
obscure feature like NTP.

To get back to the original topic, it seems to me if one really cares
about absolute time, having just one hardware clock is not a very
robust solution no matter what OS or version of NTP is being used.

I have one client that does care and has GPS timeserver appliances
at several sites with all the sites using all the NTP servers as potential
sources so failing a major catastrophe at all sites, there is redundancy.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.