On Jan 29, 4:52 am, ma...@ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:
> Dave Hart wrote:
> > Take 2:
>
> > On Jan 28, 11:52 pm, Terje Mathisen <"terje.mathisen at tmsw.no">
> > wrote:
> >> I've installed your version, and included -M in my startup parameters:
>
> >> I get Event Log (Application) messages about stuff like:
>
> >> System time quantum 1.000 msec, min. slew 6.410 ppm/s
>
> > Notice the observed quantum 1 msec is less than the threshold I
> > mentioned, so interpolation is disabled.  You'll also notice a
> > precision = 1000.0 usec log line, where with interpolation that number
> > is much less than 1000.  Your system should keep better time than it
> > did with stock ntpd.  If you can avoid any program that changes
> > multimedia timers, you would probably get more precise ntpd
> > timekeeping without -M, allowing interpolation to be used, however any
> > MM timer use and the interpolation will perform very badly.
>
> >> Clock interrupt period 15.600 msec (startup slew 0.1 usec/period)
> >> Performance counter frequency 14.318 MHz
> >> MM timer resolution: 1..1000000 msec, set to 1 msec
> >> ntpd 4.2....@dlh-qpc-o Jan 28 6:47:59.16 (UTC-08:00) 2009  (51)
>
> >> which seems to me to indicate that your code is indeed running, but I
> >> don't get any 'filtered... QPC' messages at all?
>
> > Yeah, that's part of the interpolation.  If you want to see them,
> > leave off -M (and avoid Flash, Quicktime, etc).
>
> If you are going to do this you MUST take account of Flash, Quicktime
> and other multimedia otherwise it's not an acceptable solution.
> Stability and accuracy of the clock are extremely important otherwise we
> wouldn't be using ntp.

I'm a bit fuzzy on what I MUST do.  I've been exhorting that running
without -M on Vista invites brokenness.  If stability is extremely
important, run with -M on Vista.  If accuracy is extremely important
and you are sure there will be no apps increasing the multimedia timer
resolution, without -M may make you happier.  Most likely, Windows
Server 2008 has exactly the same behavior as Vista.  It's entirely
reasonable on a server to know that you won't run Flash, Quicktime, or
Java.

Cheers,
Dave Hart