On Jan 29, 12:54 pm, ma...@ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:
> Dave Hart wrote:
> > Most likely, Windows
> > Server 2008 has exactly the same behavior as Vista.  It's entirely
> > reasonable on a server to know that you won't run Flash, Quicktime, or
> > Java.
>
> Actually that's untrue. We run Tomcat on many of our Windows Servers
> (and I'm running it on several of my XP Laptops) in the office and they
> specifically enable the hires timer for our applications.

I didn't say no one ever uses timeBeginPeriod to raise the multimedia
timer precision on a server.  I said it is reasonable to know a
particular server will not run any software which raises the
multimedia timer precision.  If, on the other hand, you know you do
use such software, or you can't be sure what software will be run, -M
with the experimental ntpd is wise with Vista and WS2008.

Cheers,
Dave Hart