Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:43:01 +0000, Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
>> On 2009-02-16, Mike -- Email Ignored <m_d_berger_1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I run tardisnt on my WinXP boxes. They have only one time server
>>> specified, and is on my LAN. Unexpectedly today tardisnt tried to
>>> access the WAN. (It was blocked by ZoneAlarm.) Why might it have tried
>>> this?
>>>
>>> If you know a better place to ask this question, please let me know.
>> http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk/
>
> I didn't find an answer to my question there.
>
> Mike.

While it is natural to ask questions about tardis here I don't remember
the last time anyone asked anything here about the product. There have
been lots of complaints about tardis's bad behavior at one time but I
believe all of those have been corrected.

Having said that I would guess that there is something wrong with your
DNS lookup. Check your settings: ipconfig/all from the DOS prompt and
try and decide whether or not the DNS servers listed belong to your ISP
(assuming this is personal) ot your business (assuming this is inside
your office). There have been a number of attacks recently affecting
DHCP provisioning which causes (among other things) the DNS servers to
be replaced with rogue DNS Servers. Check for the Trojan.Flush.M virus.

You are better off installing the free Windows version of ntp reference
implementation in which case you would get lots of answers here. Why pay
for something that you can get for free and for that matter is far
better even on Windows? Check out Meinberg's installer here:
http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm and you will never look back.

Danny