"Richard B. Gilbert" <> wrote in message
[]
> Do you disagree with the 500 PPM limit?  500 PPM works out to 43 seconds
> per day.  A clock that gains or loses that much time every day has to be
> considered seriously broken!  Plus or minus 50 PPM, or less, is typical.
>
> I suppose that someone could change the limit to 1000 PPM or even
> 10,000PPM.  Would that be the right thing to do?  Why?

No, I don't disagree or agree with 500ppm - simply asking whether or not
people felt there was any mileage in using a somewhat larger value.

> The 500 PPM limit may be completely arbitrary but I suspect that it
> includes a vast majority of computer clocks.

I think this is an excellent point.  It would be fascinating to see a
histogram of computer clock frequency error, so that one could make a
statement like "500ppm satisfies 98% of computer clocks" with some degree
of authority.  I'm not aware of any such data, though.